How to boot single user with loadlin?

I'm not using LILO and boot into Linux from a config.sys menu option
under Win95.  I use loadlin to boot Linux.  I needed to do some
maintenance the other day and found that booting single from a running
system doesn't work very well.  It keeps /usr mounted because it doesn't
kill off the process using /usr, I guess.  Anyway then I set out to try
to boot single user from loadlin.exe.  I didn't know what to put.  I
tried loadlin vmlinux root=/dev/hdb1 ro single, but that didn't seem to
work.  Can someone enlighten me?  I looked in the docs, but I guess I
didn't find the right one.

Thanks,
Jim.
--