Linux Newbie Questions.

I am getting ready to install Debian Linux on my PC.  I'm pretty sure I
understand how to do this from the online instructions.  I have have a
few other questions, however:

1. What is the difference between X11 and Xfree86?  Will either of these
be installed as part of the Debian Linux installation?  Do I need to go
to the Xfree86 site and install it?  I am assuming that the windowing
software typically reqires use of X11 or Xfree86.

2. I have located packages on the Debian FTP site, but no instructions
on how to install a package.  Do all the files listed under a package
directory ned to be downloaded and do I need to compile with GCC?
Instructions on how to install a package would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.