Re: Linux Newbie Questions.

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Holdsworth, Ed wrote:

> 1. What is the difference between X11 and Xfree86?  Will either of these
> be installed as part of the Debian Linux installation?  Do I need to go
> to the Xfree86 site and install it?  I am assuming that the windowing
> software typically reqires use of X11 or Xfree86.

Xfree86 is an implementation of X11.  It is provided in debian.

> 2. I have located packages on the Debian FTP site, but no instructions
> on how to install a package.  Do all the files listed under a package
> directory ned to be downloaded and do I need to compile with GCC?
> Instructions on how to install a package would be greatly appreciated.

"dpkg -i <pkgname>.deb" will install any individual package, no compiling,
and no need to install entire directories of packages (though it is
possible).  Dselect and apt do a much better job of this.  They will
download and install the packages that you ask for.  Also, on your initial
install, you can select entire groups of packages.

HTH,
Brandon