Re: Why does 16 bpp look the same as 24 bpp?

In a message dated 12/20/98 11:53:29 AM Central Standard Time,
Rick_Macdonald@shaw.wave.ca writes:

> I can't tell the difference between 16bpp and 24bpp 24 colour JPEG
>  files, viewed with xv.
>
>  I have an ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64). The 24bpp implementation is
>  actually packed in 32bits, so the xserver is actually called 32bpp.
>
>  Can anybody explain this? I would have thought that 65K colours would
>  _not_ look as good as 16M!

Forgive me if this is common knowledge... but it also depends on the number of
colors stored in the jpeg itself.  Most images available use 256 colors - and
greater color depth on your system won't change that.

-Jay