Re: Does apt replace dselect?

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was under the impression that apt would replace dselect and provide a
> > more user friendly package manager.  But so far I've just heard about
> > apt-get which sounds like just a script for installing debian packages
> > directly from the net.  Could someone enlighten me on the true role
> > and status of apt?

apt-get is way more than a script - Apt is mostly a library. The library
has lots of very sophisticated features, including stuff to download
packages, order them for installation, keep up with dependencies,
automatically compute which packages you need to upgrade, etc. It's a very
complex and powerful piece of code.

apt-get is a simple frontend which gives you access to the library from
the command line.

> If you are chomping at the bit for the dselect replacement, you can
> view (and try) the gnome-apt frontend at
> http://www.debian.org/~hp/gnome-apt.html

Thanks for the plug. :-)

Gnome Apt should build with the current Gtk and Gnome tarballs by the way,
you should not need to use CVS except to get Apt and Gnome-Apt. (If this
isn't true send me the compile error and I'll make it true.) Once Jim gets
those tarballs packaged up, you'll be able to use the .debs to compile.

If I can add to the plug: I need an icon for the program, an icon for
"Replaces" in the package tree view, and someone to package the program
once all its dependencies are packaged. If anyone doesn't have enough to
do. :-)

I actually use gnome-apt by the way; it has some missing features, but if
you get your /etc/apt/source.list set up manually, I think it's already a
useful program.

 Havoc