Can't get ghostscript to print.

    On my Debian hamm distribution I am trying to print simple Latex
documents to my dot matrix ESCP2
Epson ActionPrinter 5000+ .  I create an ASCII text file with the proper
latex file commands and save it
to the filename test.tex . Then I issue the following commands:

% latex test.tex
% dvips test.dvi   -o  test.ps
% gs  -sDEVICE=epson  -r360x180   test.ps
Aladdin Ghostscript 3.33 (4/10/1995)
Copyright (C) 1995 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 1750128 442092 1320152 24781
1 done.
>>showpage, press <return> to continue<<

    The above output is produced but no data seems to be piped to
theprinter. Nothing happens.  I hit return and
and the GS>  prompt appears.  If I recall correctly the Aladdin web site
states that the device "epson" will work
with all epson dot matrix printers and the -r360x180  is used for 24 pin
resolution. My printer prints just fine when
it comes to issuing the lpr command and nice ASCII text is produced. But
being a high school math teacher I need
to be able to print math expressions.  The latex output looks fine when
I view it using xdvi or after converting it to
postscript  ( using divps ) the output looks fine as well in Ghostview.
But trying to view a hard copy is another story.
If this will help here is my printcap file :

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See the printcap(5) manual page for further
# details.

lp|epson|Generic dot-matrix printer entry
        :lp=/dev/lp1
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs
        :pl#66
        :pw#80
        :pc#150
        :mx#0
        :sh

# rlp|Remote printer entry
#         :lp=
#         :rm=remotehost
#         :rp=remoteprinter
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote
#         :mx#0
#         :sh

Monte Copeland
Knoxville TN

p.s.   This is the second post of this message.  I hope it is okay for
me to post it again since I did not get a
reply from the first one. If  no one on this email list can help does
anyone know of another  email
list group or newsgroup that  might be able to solve this problem.