Re: Serial consoles

Hi!

Rainer Clasen (bj):
> Shane Wegner (shane@cm.nu):
> > I posted here a few months ago about getting the Debian installation
> > process to work on a serial console over a null modem connection to a
> > vt100 terminal.

> You need to modify root.bin! gunzip it, mount it via loop and replace
> /dev/console. ohh - wait - /dev/console isn't used by the installation
> program. maybe you need to kludge around and make /dev/tty1 the same as
> /dev/console. Check /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt for
> details.

I became curios and actually tried it. I added console=ttyS1,9600n8 to
syslinux.cfg's APPEND lines and set DEFAULT to 1. Furthermore root.bin was
modified with mknod c 5 1 /dev/console. I rdev'ed the kernel and booted the
box from this floppy. E'voila - worked like a charme. I stopped at "partiton
a hard disk" since there was no disk attached.

Now I'm thinking about removing the floppy and booting of the net. :-)

This is really kewl - I've expected more problems.

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB