Re: xdm

I just did that to myself last night (modified my Xsession to set -bpp 24
on a server that didn't support it for my sytem, that's what I get for not
reading the documentation).

If you're on a network, telnet into the linux box (you have to log in
first as someone other than root and then su to root), then do a
   ps aux | grep xdm
and then kill the process id.  Then I would suggest removing xdm from your
init scripts until you have it working properly.

If you are not on a net (or have no login account other than root and don't
allow root network logins) and are using lilo or some boot method that
gives you a chance to add boot options, try booting into single-user mode
(of
course you have to do a hardware reset to get there, with the long fsck of
your partitons).

Good luck,
Frank

--On Sunday, December 20, 1998, 2:51 PM -0400 Rick Knebel