Re: xdm

Frank Smith wrote:
[re: How to stop an xdm that won't start properly and won't stop]
  >If you're on a network, telnet into the linux box (you have to log in
  >first as someone other than root and then su to root), then do a
  >   ps aux | grep xdm
  >and then kill the process id.  Then I would suggest removing xdm from your
  >init scripts until you have it working properly.

The file you need to edit is /etc/X11/config; change the line that says
`start-xdm' to `no-start-xdm'.

  >If you are not on a net (or have no login account other than root and don't
  >allow root network logins) and are using lilo or some boot method that
  >gives you a chance to add boot options, try booting into single-user mode
  >(of
  >course you have to do a hardware reset to get there, with the long fsck of
  >your partitons).

Or boot from the distribution CD.  Mount your root partition; then start
a shell, or use another virtual terminal, to edit the file, whose pathname
will be /target/etc/X11/config, if you have used the installation CD.
(At this stage /etc is in a RAM disk, which will disappear completely
when you reboot.)

     "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shall call
      his name JESUS; for he shall save his people from
      their sins."            Matthew 1:21