Re: Swap partitioning

	Subject: Swap partitioning
	Date: Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 08:13:32AM -0500

Quoting Christian Lavoie(clavoie@enter-net.com):
> Figuring out that StarOffice5 is too much a resource hog (actually, SOffice
> + mp3 + 12 or 13 netscape windows, etc. etc.) for my current config, I've
> decided to add another swap partition to my Linux. I setup'ed (is that a
> word?) lilo and everything... Booted and took a look at 'top'. Oh surprise,
> NO swap memory. 0k. (See attached file)
>
> Revelant specs:
>
> Linux partition is: /dev/hda7
> Current swap: /dev/hda8
> New swap: /dev/hda9
> 64megs of RAM
>
> ----
>
> 1) Will adding another swap partition really help SOffice?

When I was first used SO I had 124Meg of swap and had it crash on
printing some of the help pages.  I fixed it by adding another 128Meg
of swap.  Watching xosview showed that I used 230 Meg of swap to allow
the pages to print & _not_ crash.

> 2) Where does I configure Linux to take account of swap partitions?

After creating the swap partitions and doing mkswap, add the
partition(s) to /etc/fstab.

/dev/hda11       swap        swap        defaults   0   0

> 3) How many swap partitions Linux supports?

IIRC the 2.0.x kernels allow something like 8-900M total, in chuncks of
128Meg each.

> ----
> Christian Lavoie
> UIN: 947212
> E-Mail: clavoie@enter-net.com

HTH

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of