RE: Swap partitioning

On 19-Dec-98, Christian Lavoie took time to write :
> Linux partition is: /dev/hda7
> Current swap: /dev/hda8
> New swap: /dev/hda9
> 64megs of RAM
>
> ----
>
> 1) Will adding another swap partition really help SOffice?

sure... but not as much as more memory....

> 2) Where does I configure Linux to take account of swap partitions?

just modify /etc/fstab,
according to your setup you should have something like:
/dev/hda8               none            swap    sw          0       0
/dev/hda9               none            swap    sw          0       0

then reboot or do swapon -a and it should enable all swaps partitions

> 3) How many swap partitions Linux supports?

at least 4 as far as i know, but i don't know in details
in fact i've checked in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/swap.h :
#defined MAX_SWAPFILES 8

so it seems to be 8 !

BTW, you can also do swap as files instead of partitions.
I don't know how, and i know it's slower than partitions but can be helpful..

Patrick