fte error

A problem I'd like to verify here before I submit a bug report:
I am running kernel 2.1.131 with vesa framebuffer as my console
(1024x768x8) and I get the little Penguin Linux logo on boot. however,
my favorite editor is fte - i used it as both my X editor (fte) and my
console editor (vfte). the version of fte-console installed is
0.46b5-4.2 It no longer works when my console is in graphics mode (vesa
framebuffer) typing in vfte just returns me to my prompt. Anyone else
experience this?
Yuri Niyazov