Re: Tohsiba Satellite - screen size in text mode

On 19 Dec 1998q, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 06:57:59PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT (TFT screen).  In text mode only the middle
> > part of the screen is visible, though in graphics mode the whole screen is used.
> > There is an option in Hardware Setup to stretch the screen, but this gives the
> > same number of lines, with double spacing.
> >
> > This isn't really a Linux problem, because the same thing happens in DOS. But is
> > there any linux program that can enable the use of the whole screen?
>
> If you enabled "LCD Stretching" in the hardware setup, it will use
> the whole screen, from memory. To get into the hardware setup, either
> use the utility in Windows 95, or hold escape when powering the machine
> one or rebooting.

As my original post says, I'd already tried the stretch option in the hardware
setup, but if you just use that you end up with large gaps between the lines but
still the same 28 lines in total.

However, I *have* now solved the problem. There are three steps:

1. Set the stretch option, as above.

2. Include "vga=4" in linux.bat (for loadlin.exe) or lilo.

3. Change the font by typing "setfont alt-8x14".

This gives you 34 lines, taking up the whole screen.

I think I shall put a summary on my website of my experience in setting up linux
on the Toshiba.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald