Re: WP 8 problem

>Well I agree with Riccardo!  It took me 18 hours to _finally_ get all
>7 parts of the software. I found that there readme was written by
>someone that didn't even try to load the 7 parts.  I then found that
>the Runme file didn't do anything (useful) so I had to figure out why
>.gz files were not, if fact, gzipped but tarred. Then, after looking
>at the Runme script, saw that it expected lowercase file names, so
>changed them.  Ok, now to get the Runme to run.  Forget it.  It is
>looking for files that aren't there.  A check of the ./linux/bin file
>shows that they are not executeable, in fact 'file ./linux/bin' says
>they
>are data files.  OK, look on the list to see what others are finding.
>OK, now look for xwp.  I am still looking.  It isn't in the packages
>that I have. Look for _any_ executeables. Found Runme, which doesn't
>do anything but ask me if I have 'unzip'ed un-tared the files'.
>
>I find it a total waste of time and effort.  I would not bother to
>even download it now _even_ if they said it was totally FREE.

I don't understand why it took 18 hours??? it's not 180 megs or
something... I got mine from ftp.cdrom.com, which gave me 2-3kps.. that
ftpsite is also where I get my debian packages, so if it takes you 18
hours.... you should have waited for other places to mirror it... places
you normally get good transfer rates with..

As for installation, everything went virtually uneventfully...
moved the file to home directory, tar xzzvf GUI*
it extracted fine. read readme, not much there, ran runme, didn't work.
read readme again, found out you had to run it in 'sh' shell. Ran sh. Ran
runme, installed it. Ran xwp from wpbin directory.

The functionality is another story though... fooling around with the
software, I found some parts that said only available in commercial
version. I was under the impression that it was "fully" functionable for
personal use...... that made no mention of limited features. They should
have indicated it was limited in some way.