Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 06:59:28PM -0600, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

>    Neither "Scheme" nor "Lisp" is in any way standardized.
>
> Common Lisp was standartized by ANSI in 80es. I believe
> standard was revisited in 1994 and Lisp ot some OO features.
> Anyway, document number is ANSI X3.226-1994. Feel free to order
> and read

Well, this is true. However, a standard is only a standard if people hold to
it. I don't see this with Lisp. I see Common Lisp as Yet Another Lisp, and
only because people choose to define it in a document and put ANSI in front
doesn't mean much. I admit my wording was misleading, as I didn't want to
say that there were no efforts to standardize LISP, or no formalized
versions of LISP. However, they are just this. You could say, Common LISP is
standardized.

> Scheme is also standartized in several reports. They are quite
> extensive and allows to create independent compilers/interpreters.
>
>    Scheme is a derivative of Lisp, and Lisp itself is splittered in dozens of dialects,
>    nearly every AI institute developing it's own version.
>
> that's true
>
>    There is no such thing as "THE Lisp".
>
> yes, there is and that's why it is called Common Lisp
>                                           ------

Well, right. Common Lisp is standardized. Lisp isn't.

Thanks,
Marcus