Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

   On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 07:42:59PM +0000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
   > On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:
   > >
   > > But it comes down to "GNU/Linux" being a political statement, and one
   > > that I disagree with.
   >
   > I don't like GNU either. They're unnecessary complex most of the
   > times, and they're too worried about imposing their own standards to
   > others. Scheme->Guile, Lisp ->elisp , Linux-> Hurd. And their
   > copyright notice is awful! But... I use emacs, and other nice GNUish
   > software everyday :)).

   Ha!

   Neither "Scheme" nor "Lisp" is in any way standardized.

Ha!

Common Lisp was standartized by ANSI in 80es. I believe
standard was revisited in 1994 and Lisp ot some OO features.
Anyway, document number is ANSI X3.226-1994. Feel free to order
and read

Scheme is also standartized in several reports. They are quite
extensive and allows to create independent compilers/interpreters.

   Scheme is a derivative of Lisp, and Lisp itself is splittered in dozens of dialects,
   nearly every AI institute developing it's own version.

that's true

   There is no such thing as "THE Lisp".

yes, there is and that's why it is called Common Lisp
                                          ------

[rest skipped]

OK