Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

john jabbed,

> > ...on the other hand, every time I have "GNU/ Linux" shoved in my face, I
> > give FreeBSD another thought.  Anyone know how to remove it?  I can't
> > find where it's coming from

> /etc/motd, of course.  You can put what ever you want there.

that was the first place i looked, but it's not where the GNU comes from :)
but bob pointed to /etc/issue,  where it did.

> What's so offensive about "GNU/Linux"?

The politics of it :) The general idea behind it is something like "The
contributions of GNU are almost/as/more important than linux, which is
just the kernel, and GNU should get credit; there would be no system
without gnu, etc."

frankly, I prefer the BSD utilities, and dislike nearly everything all
of the gnu changes:  excessively long option names, info/hostility to
man, etc.  And i generally prefer the way the bsd versions operate on
those where i've noticed a difference.

But it comes down to "GNU/Linux" being a political statement, and one
that I disagree with.

rick