Re: Syntax highlighting in XEmacs (was [X]Emacs vs. vi[m])

Mark Phillips wrote:

> How do you get colour highlighting for syntax in XEmacs - eg for latex
> using AUC-TeX?

Some people like font-latex.el, which comes as a contrib add-on
with AUC-TeX, which in turn is bundled with XEmacs. (The primary
font-latex support is for Emacs, so XEmacs bugs turn up sometimes
since the elisp is different and the font-lock is also different).

Try adding the following to your ~/.emacs file:

(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
(if window-system
    (require 'font-latex))

The latest version of font-latex.el is 0.603 (02 July 1998).
I dunno what version is in XEmacs, but it might be best to
upgrade it (and byte-compile it).  There were some buggy versions
out after 0.506 that had infinite loop problems. It's available
at:

  ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/elisp/font-latex.el

I may package it for Debian at some point if we can work out what
to do with packages that override default behaviour (long story).
Then it would be easier to find and easier to setup.

Peter <psg@debian.org>