Re: Help!!!!!! Package install problems!!!

> OK. Now I cann't load Debian directly off of the CD because the CDROM
> drive is not supported. So I got base installed on the machine by
> creating a 30MB Dos partition and copying the basic installation files
> on to it from DOS. Install went OK up to the point where I need to
> install packages, then the lack of the CD (and space on the HD for
> temporary storage) became a problem. I need parts of about 8 or 9
> packages some of which will involve loading up to 80MB at a time in
> temporary storage if I can't use the CD as source.
>

> My problem is how to load the rest of the packages. I have a couple of
> ideas and would like to know the answers to a few specific questions.
>
> 1) Idea 1
>
> I could copy a few packages at a time onto the 30Mb Dos drive and
> install from there.
>
> Question 1 --- To run dselect do I only need the .deb files or do I need
> the "packages" files too?

I think you need the packages file.

I recommend using dselect and select what you want.  Dselect will
then take care of also selecting other packages you need according
to dependencies.  Of course the packages aren't available
so exit dselect and use
dpkg --get-selections
and write down/print the package list.  Now reboot to dos,
copy those packages, reboot debian and use
dpkg -i package1.deb package2.deb ... packageN.deb
This will install the packages.  Delete the package files
afterwards.
Re-run dselect and select more packages and so on.
Repeat this till you have all you want, and don't select more
than 30M in each round.

> Question 2 --- If I do need the "packages" file do I have to edit it to
> reflect the actual path to the .deb files? If not how do you deal with
You can always create the same directory structure as on the cd.
But try to just use tha package file and copy the .deb files the way
I suggested in step 1.

> Question 3 --- What constitutes a package? I have several directories
> called things like "net" do I copy the whole directory or just the .deb
> files I seem to need?
A .deb file is a package.  They are grouped according to function,
i.e. all development packages in devel, networking packages in net
and so on.  This is just to make it tidy.

> Idea 2
>
> I also have a laptop PC with a working CDROM (running win95) on which
> I've installed an FTPD for win95.
>
> Question 4 --- when I try to use this machine as an FTP source, Dselect
> seems to expect a specific layout dist/stable/main et al
>
> Unfortunately my CD has the form d:/debian/hamm/hamm... How can I change
> this so that Dselect can read fron the remote drive?
windows 95 doesn't have symbolical links.  Can you boot the other machine
from the cd?  from a linux floppy?  Linux is capable of sharing
the cd with the layout you need.
Hacking the package file might work, but don't ask me about that.

Other things to try:
1. Install just enough to get a internet connection going.  Then install
from the internet.  This could cause a big phone bill though.

2. Recompile the kernel with support for your particular cdrom
if possible.  Then perform a normal install from cdrom.

3. Borrow a supported cdrom from a friend.  Perform a normel
cd install.

Helge Hafting