Re: X-windows

Hello, I ran the same command: $ dpkg --status xserver-svga and got the same
readout as you did.  I tried installing again using the Ati Mach 64 3D Rage
II, Internal RamDac with the SVGA server.  It didn't work so I used
ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace as you suggested and got the following:

The /etc/a11/xF86Config file was not created.
expr: syntax error
dpkg: error processing xbase (--configure):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of motifnls:
  motifnls depends on xbase; however:
  Package xbase is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing motifnls (--configure):
  dependency problems-leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fvwm95:
  fvwm95 depends on xbase (>= 3.1.2-9); however:
  Package xbase is not configured yet,
dpkg: error processing fvwn99 (--configure):
  dependency problems-leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing
emacs20
w3-el
auctex
xbase
motifnls
fum95

dpkg --configure returned error exit status 1.
Press return to continue

I don't know if that will help someone help me but.....
Thanks,
Kent