Re: Install problem with .tgz files?

According to: http://electron.phys.dal.ca/Hardware-HOWTO-4.html
>A few very early AMD 486DX's may hang in some special situations. All
>current chips should be okay and getting a chip swap for old CPU's should
>not be a
>problem.
>
>ULSI Math*Co series has a bug in the FSAVE and FRSTOR instructions that
>causes problems with all protected mode operating systems. Some older IIT and
>Cyrix chips may also have this problem.

However, I doubt this relates to you. Other sites I scanned indicate that
there's no problem between recent Cyrix chips and Linux, so you can
probably ignore my earlier suggestion to that effect. I'd still suspect
other hardware issues. Also, you might try tinkering with some of the
settings in CMOS (turn off Power Management, etc).