Re: Install problem with .tgz files?

At 04:34 PM 12/14/1998 +0000, Martin Smith wrote:
>I recently bought my first computer - a Cyrix P180 without an OS - and
>have been trying unsuccessfully for the last week to install Linux.  I
>hope someone can help this frustrated newbie.
>
>I first tried to install Debian 2.0 using CDs from CheapBytes.
>Everything went fine until it came time to install the base system, at
>which time the machine said it couldn't read the file base2_0.tgz.
>There was an error message obscured by the curses window which looked
>like it said something about invalid compressed data.  After a bunch of
>fruitless fooling around, I downloaded the base system from the net onto
>floppies and was able to install it that way, although the system hung
>when it tried to reboot.
>
>I now have a bash shell, but when I now run dselect, I get a number of
>error messages something like the following:
>
>gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data -crc error
>dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -dc returned error exit status 2
>dpkg: error processing -/var/lib/dpkg/blahblahlah (-install)
>corrupted file system tar file
>corrupted package archive
>
>What's going wrong?
>
>Martin Smith

Actually, on second thought, since your machine hung on reboot, I might
also suspect your hard drive, your hard drive controller, RAM, CPU, etc. I
vaguely remember seeing something that Linux needs some special
considerations when running on some sort of non-Intel CPU; maybe it's
Cyrix. You might search the web for references to Cyrix and Linux.