Re: I tweaked my Linux box too much!

Monte Copeland wrote:

>     I know you know the old saying, "If it's not broke don't fix it." I
> was trying to "tweak"
> my X Window System display by running XF86Setup utility. I had had a
> nice display setup already but I thought if I tinkered with it some more
> I could get pictures to be little sharper than they were in netscape. (
> I have a 4 MB AGP Diamond Stealth Card ) After I changed some settings I
> saved them and exited the program. When I rebooted the system, it went
> through the standard boot-up routine except when it got to xdm my screen
> went blank and everything locked up. I figured that if I new how to
> disable xdm, I could boot up to just the Linux command line and run
> XF86Setup again, but I do not know what config file to edit in order to
> disable xdm.

Reboot, and when you get to the lilo prompt, enter 'linux 1'
or whatever your label is followed by a 1.

This will put you into single-user mode, from which you can edit your
/etc/inittab on the line that says something like

id:5:initdefault:

and switch the 5 (or whatever it is) to a 2

Reboot, and now you are in multi-user, but without xdm starting auto-
matically.

-Mitch