Re: I tweaked my Linux box too much!

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Monte Copeland wrote:

>     I know you know the old saying, "If it's not broke don't fix it." I
> was trying to "tweak"
> my X Window System display by running XF86Setup utility. I had had a
> nice display setup already but I thought if I tinkered with it some more
> I could get pictures to be little sharper than they were in netscape. (
> I have a 4 MB AGP Diamond Stealth Card ) After I changed some settings I
> saved them and exited the program. When I rebooted the system, it went
> through the standard boot-up routine except when it got to xdm my screen
> went blank and everything locked up. I figured that if I new how to
> disable xdm, I could boot up to just the Linux command line and run
> XF86Setup again, but I do not know what config file to edit in order to
> disable xdm.
Know your initdefault then goto /etc/rc(initdefault).d/ , find the file
with xdm in it like S99xdm then delete that file.

It's just a symlink to /etc/init.d/xdm

Hope this helps

Admiral Charah
Tech Support, Cyberspace Laoag, ISP
http://www2.csi.com.ph/~keyoz
"Overuse of the smiley is  mark of loserhood" --The Jargon File V4.0.0