Re: system instablity

Ed Cogburn writes:
> I don't see anything similar in Win95.

That tends to point toward memory.  Different OS's have very different
memory usage patterns, and a bit that usually ends up storing user data
in one may get part of a kernel data structure in another.

> In fact, IIRC, I've never seen the 'General protection/failure' message
> from any other software.

It is a kernel bug for any user program to be able to cause a GP.

> ...if it were a hardware problem, I'd be seeing other Linux software
> (unrelated to dselect/apt/dpkg) having similar and frequent problems,...

I always know it's past time to clean my air filter when gnus crashes.  It
is not unusual for some software to be particularly sensitive to certain
hardware problems.  Usage patterns again.

> ...but its clear to me that its not a hardware problem, even though I
> understand that you don't believe me, and you are not the only one to
> tell me its not Debian software thats causing the problem.

We aren't just being defensive.  Many of us have had quite a bit of
experience with diverse software and hardware, much of it buggy.  Your
problem smells like hardware.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)