Re: system instablity

Ed C. writes:
> I first got the same kind of 'General failure: 00000' message from
> apt/dpkg then I got the kernel message that began with 'Aiyee' or
> something like that.  It was the first time I've seen a hard kernel crash
> outside of the X win system.

An X server can crash the kernel because it has privileged i/o and memory
access.  Programs such as apt and dpkg cannot.  What you got can only be
either a kernel bug or a hardware problem.  Since apt and dpkg do nothing
at all out of the ordinary from the point of view of the kernel, it is
unlikely that they would tickle a kernel bug that would not also be tickled
by many other programs.  Thus we are left with hardware.  How's your
cooling?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)