Re: system instablity

On 13 Dec 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> An X server can crash the kernel because it has privileged i/o and memory
> access.  Programs such as apt and dpkg cannot.  What you got can only be
> either a kernel bug or a hardware problem.  Since apt and dpkg do nothing
> at all out of the ordinary from the point of view of the kernel, it is
> unlikely that they would tickle a kernel bug that would not also be tickled
> by many other programs.  Thus we are left with hardware.  How's your
> cooling?

  Well, I'm not have the kernel crashes that the other fellow is having,
however I suspect this might be some good advise for me too.  I'm running
on the 2.0.34 kernel.  I can try the 2.0.33 one that came with the
distrobution.  Does anyone have any idea's of what would be a safe version
xserver-svga to go with?  I'm running 3.3.2.3-1 now.

  Also, some of the error I've been getting are shown below.  The only one
that fails all the time is second one.  (netscape)  The rest will be
repeatable for a little while, but after a reboot, or after some
period of time, they work again.  I've started to capture all the odd
error messages.

Thanks,
Dan Hursh

# emacs is segs on exit,  exit code is 139
# it did it last night, but is happy today.  I did nothing to change it.
Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault

-----------------
# This hasn't worked since I installed hamm/stable
> netscape
/usr/bin/X11/netscape: line 7:   470 Illegal Instruction     $nsremote
-noraise
-remote "openURL($url, new_window)" 2>/dev/null
Illegal instruction

# I had this working for a little while last night.
> /usr/lib/netscape/netscape
Illegal instruction