Re: g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*

Hello,

> >I left the source as it was, but added some softlinks, like
> >/usr/include/X11/GL -> /usr/include/GL
>
> Me to, but I had to edit out some refs. to a /GL/GLw/ directory included
> file - the header file was actually under /GL, and Glw doesn't exist on
> my system.

I used softlinks throughout, but I don't remember them all...
  /usr/include/X11/GLw -> GL

> But try compiling the vopengl stuff - all the makefiles are set up for
> windows, even though I downloaded the X version of V.

I didn't have any other problems - it might have helped that I used Mesa,
from a Debian package, so I didn't have to compile OpenGL myself.

    mesag2          2.6-3          A 3-D graphics library which uses the OpenGL
    mesag2-dev      2.6-3          Development library for Mesa [libc6].

> Do you know what's happened to the V mailing list?  It just says it's
> moving on the V site.

No idea. Didn't try it (I was after compiling FREEdraft, and V was just a
step on the way).

> >slink isn't released yet, anyway.
>
> Indeed, but it is clear from this list that many people with time to
> spare are upgrading anyway...

With emphasis on "time to spare" :-)

> I think I've got what's up with the different compilers now, but since
> compiling free source is such a typical Unix tradition, I feel that the
> documentation on what's going on should be more widely publcicised,

Hmm, perhaps a tutorial kind of thing.
  * download file into a subdir
  * tar xvzf file.tgz (if your tar can handle that)
  * read README, INSTALL etc
  * basic make usage, common make targets, editing makefiles
  * understanding error messages
  * ...

Especially the error messages can often be very obscure-looking and still
tell you exactly what's wrong!

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>