Re: g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*

>Subject: Re: g++2.8, egcs, gcc 2.7.2, etc. - *very confused*
>To: polytope_@hotmail.com (Martin Waller)
>Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:30:50 +1100 (EST)
>Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>From: Jiri Baum <jiri@baum.com.au>
>
>Hello,
>
>> Over the weekend, I downlaoded V 1.20 onto /usr/local/.
>
>Did the same last night.
>
>> I tried compiling it and after finding out that I needed all the
OpenGl
>> stuff and isntalling that to (V. annoying by the way - had even to
edit some
>> of the source code to get rid of those probelms)
>
>I left the source as it was, but added some softlinks, like
>/usr/include/X11/GL -> /usr/include/GL

Me to, but I had to edit out some refs. to a /GL/GLw/ directory included
file - the header file was actually under /GL, and Glw doesn't exist on
my system.

>> But then I got the make error message:
>>
>> In vbglcnv.h:51:Invalid storage class specifiers decalared in friend
>> functions
>
>Get rid of the word "static" on that line.

This is what i eventually did, after finally gettinbg a clue as to what
it meant.

>> I didn't have a clue what this meant even after viewing the two
friend
>> functions alluded to.
>
>"storage class" means auto, static, register or extern; there are two
>modifiers, const and volatile.
>
>In this case, there's only one storage specifier on the whole line
(unless
>there's something in macros), so that had to be what it was complaining
about
>:-)
>
>Getting rid of it fixed the problem. I hope it didn't break anything
(but
>FREEdraft compiled and ran okay, so I guess not).

But try compiling the vopengl stuff - all the makefiles are set up for
windows, even though I downloaded the X version of V.

Do you know what's happened to the V mailing list?  It just says it's
moving on the V site.

>> Being naive enough to try anything, and having heard of all sorts of
>> problems with egcs and g++, I decided to scrap g++2.8 and put
g++2.7.2 on.
>> (I had egcs 2.90.29, dated 19980515).

Eeventually, I did get it to compile with egcc and g++ (2.8).  I had to
edit the Config.mk to use CC=egcc instead of CC=gcc so as not to mix and
match g++2.8 and GCC2.7.2.

>I didn't want to do that, because FREEdraft claimed to use fancy
>exception-handling that 2.7.x doesn't grok - and that's why I was
getting V.

There's also a way on the ftp site a way to compile V without the OpenGL
stuff.  But hell - if it's there why not play.

>> (I'm on a HAMM systen still - it took me 4 goes to get a successful
upgrade
>> from bo to that, so I'm not ready to slink it yet).
>
>slink isn't released yet, anyway.

Indeed, but it is clear from this list that many people with time to
spare are upgrading anyway...

I think I've got what's up with the different compilers now, but since
compiling free source is such a typical Unix tradition, I feel that the
documentation on what's going on should be more widely publcicised, like
in the general info about installing/upgrading to HAMM.