Re: X is giving me a headache.

In a message dated 12/11/98 4:44:21 PM Central Standard Time, olet@ifi.uio.no
writes:

>  There is a web page dedicated to window managers for X. There you can
>  see most of them in action. I don't have to URL handy, but a search
>  should find it. I'll dig it up if anyone asks.

I found that page, it's www.x11.org.  The problem is, you get copies of
screenshots from personal machines.  Since
window managers are so configureable, it's hard to determine what they look
like out of the box, or how well they run.
Nonetheless, it's where I got my idea to get KDE and/or Window Maker.

>  Don't. Everything you need to compile KDE should be in Debian. You
>  need the -dev packages in addition to all the libraries. For instance,
>  you need both xlib6g and xlib6g-dev. You also need many others. Too bad
>  we haven't implemented source dependencies yet. :-(

That may have been the push I needed to get things to compile.  I downloaded
the -dev libraries that I was missing,
and now things seem to be working.  I did run into a compile problem with
kdeadmin, but I have a letter out to the
developer for help on that one.  I'll post the reply in case anyone else is
bored enough to compile the v1.0 code.  :)

>  If you still want to compile KDE after this message, just send me the
>  errors as they come (the error message and config.log) and I'll tell
>  you whick packages to grab.

Thanks for the offer, friend,  I'll take you up on it if I run into further
troubles.

>  | Comments, assistance, and tranquilizers will be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Would a virtual bottle of whisky help?

You're all heart.  :)

-Jay