Debian installed in Virtual PC

I try to install Linux in Virtual PC for Macintosh, but I get in an infinte
loop after booting from the resc1440 diskett.

>From a screen saying:

"I had trouble checking the choice of root device. I'll assume that the
root fs is still "". Press enter to continue."

I have no other choice than pressing enter.

Some messages flash by:

"The installation program is determining the current state of your system
and the next installation step that should be performed.

Segmentation fault

sbin/dinstall: cannot open /tmp/fdisk.scan_partitions: no such file

Illegal instruction

sbin/dinstall: cannot open /tmp/fdisk.scan_partitions: no such file

Segmentation fault

sbin/dinstall: cannot open /tmp/fdisk.scan_partitions: no such file

Segmentation fault"

And the previous screen reappears.

Questions:
1. Can I do anything to get out of the loop?
2. Has anyone succeeded in installing Debian in VPC?

(I know there are native PPC versions of Linux out there, but I'd like to
have a look at the system in a separate environment, before I start
screwing up my MacOS.)

Thanks for any answers