Re: wine problem in slink

ctang@uiuc.edu wrote:

> I recently upgraded to slink. But I have problem using wine.
> Everytime it starts, I see the message
>
>   wine: error in loading shared libraries
>   /usr/X11R6/lib/libwine.so.0: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
>
> The lib in the system are
>    libwine0.0.9711 0.0.981018-1        wine            0.0.981018-1
>    libc6           2.0.7u-7.1          libg++272       2.7.2.8-0.1
>    libstdc++2.9    2.91.60-1           libstdc++2.8    2.90.29-2
> Does anyone have the same problem?  I also tried  libstdc++2.91.59
> it didn't work either. Can anyone point out what's the problem?

I just happened to have build g77/gcc(2.8.1)/g++/libstdc++ on a Solaris
machine a couple of days ago and I just happened to have read the
gcc/NEWS file:

Noteworthy changes in GCC version 2.8.0
---------------------------------------

A major change in this release is the addition of a framework for
exception handling, currently used by C++.  Many internal changes and
optimization improvements have been made.  These increase the
maintainability and portability of GCC.  GCC now uses autoconf to
compute many host parameters.

A new project, egcs (pronounced ``eggs''), is maintaining an
experimental version of the GNU C compiler.  The egcs compiler
contains features that are candidates for inclusion in future versions
of GCC.  The standard GCC distribution is intended to contain a mature
compiler that is stable and reliable; egcs aims at making experimental
changes available to interested users at an earlier stage in their
development process than would be appropriate for a production
compiler.  Please see <http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/> for more
information about egcs.  A major motivation for the egcs project was
the long release cycle for GCC 2.8.0.  This was due to changes for
exception handling that took a long time to complete.  In the future,
changes of this nature can be developed in the egcs framework and not
interfere with the frequent releases of the standard GCC distribution.

Due to a bug fix related to exception handling, if you have previously
built a sharable library with some recent unofficial versions of GCC
on some systems and then rebuild the library with GCC 2.8.0, programs
previously linked with that library may fail during initialization
with a message about an undefined symbols __register_frame.  If that
happens, you must either relink the application or rebuild the
sharable library with "-Wl,-u,__register_frame" on the command line.

--
...RickM...