Re: emacs & xemacs

Kent West <westk@heir.acu.edu> writes:

> However, last night while running lynx I clicked on a .gif link and
> low-and-behold, the image appeared! So apparently lynx can handle some
> types of graphics. All this time when I was asking for a graphical
> console-based web browser because lynx can't handle graphics, lynx CAN
> handle (at least some) graphics.

That was probably zgv.  You can use it from the command line too, e.g.

    $ zgv b5.jpg

You can make Lynx generate links for inline images by pressing "*", or
turn this on all the time by editing /etc/lynx.cfg and looking for the
line "#MAKE_LINKS_FOR_ALL_IMAGES:FALSE".  You'll still only get a text
view of the web page, but you can load each picture separately in zgv.

BTW, if you're using Lynx, I really recommend you try upgrading to the
latest version, at least 2.8.1.  This gives you progressive display of
pages, which is *really* good for looking at Slashdot.  (But make sure
you still have a copy of the old .deb around in case it doesn't work.)

(I wish I knew why I'm at home on Saturday night, writing brick text.)