Re: adsl

GTE has just offered ADSL in my area with several
plans/speeds.  The lowest cost is $40/month for
256k download/64k upload and a 'special' until the
end of December:  for $100 they check the lines,
install ADSL with one phone number, do any
inside wiring that's necessary and give you the
adsl modem (no monthly fees for the modem, I'll own
it).  The modem connects to an ethernet card.

The local ISP charges $30/month for unlimited
connection time at 256k, $75 setup and when I
told them I use Linux, they said 'No Problem'.
They issue one IP for this fee.

I ordered it.  Should take about two weeks.
The ISP said that all the adsl subscribers are
getting the full bandwidth, so far.  This may
change with more subscribers on the loop.

--

tony mollica
tmollica@thegrid.net