Re: switch of Debian

> Hello out there,
>
> After all I finally installed DEBIAN.
> And, what else, I have a question:
> When I successfully logout, a knew login appears. Know I switch of the
> computer. When I switch it on again, there is a check for some stuff.
> Is this right? Or have I not correctly finished it?
>
> Please help a greenhorn!

You need to give a shutdown command to shutdown properly.  This can be

shutdown -h now

for a halt, or

shutdown -r now

for a reboot.  To learn about other options, read the manual page (man
shutdown).  You need to be root or have root permission to do this.  In
general, you will do your normal work in a normal user account.  From
this account, you can become superuser by typing `su' and then giving
the root password.  Then you can give the shutdown command.  From a text
console, you can also press control-alt-delete for a proper shutdown,
but I think that this can cause problems from X-windows.  You can look
into the `sudo' package for a different way to get permission for
shutdown.

On a side note, I think especially for new users it would be nice to
have an item in the standard debian menus for a shutdown.  It could run
a command like

xterm -title "Enter root passwd for system reboot" -e su root -c "/sbin/shutdown -r now"

Any comments?

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032