Re: QUantifiable reasons to use debian instead of redhat...?

On 10 Dec, Marc Barnett wrote:

> My preference is debian, there's all sorts of instinctual "gut" feelings behind
> this, plus some things like "Superior package system"< etc that are actually
> useful to express.

this isn't a technical reason, but I believe NASA chose Debian. you
could argue that if it's good enough for them...

and if you're really going to have 50-100 systems then I'd have thought
you'd find that maintaining them with dselect (from a local mirror, for
example) easier than with rpm (not that I've looked into the available
add ons for rpm that you can probably get). Red Hat do have the
kickstart thing that would make installing all that stuff quite easy,
but I wouldn't be surprised if debian had something comparable.

for what it's worth, I'm a debian newbie (ex red hat user).

--
Graham