starting isapnp (was Re: configuring sound (easy?))

On 10 Dec, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:

> If you can't figure things out from the HOWTOs (Marcus Brinkmann has
> written a fine SB 32 HOWTO) I'm sure there are plenty of people on
> this list who have a working SB AWE 64 (me included :-) and can help you.

I hope so!

I've currently reached the stage where I've recompiled my kernel having
applied the latest awe-drv patch, and am trying to get the module to
load. I've been following the sbawe32 HOWTO to the letter.

I'm not sure that my /etc/rc.* files are firing up isapnp when they
should be though. The isapnp docs just say it should go in your system's
startup scripts, but they don't say specifically which one.

In /etc I have;

--
humbug:root> find . -name "*isa*"
./init.d/isapnp

So my question is this - "where should I put my link to
/etc/rc.d/isapnp?"

I've had a look at the debian faq, specifically question 11.4, which
mentions the "update-rc.d" utility. This looks rather swanky, and I'll
have a play with it, but the /etc/rc.boot directory isn't mentioned, and
I thought that I perhaps ought to put it in there instead.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh, the problem I'm having with the awe64 at the moment looks something
like this (having recompiled kernel + modules);

--
humbug:root> /etc/init.d/isapnp
Board 1 has Identity c2 1a 6a eb 98 e4 00 8c 0e:

does that look familiar to anybody?

--
Graham