Re: Mouse pointer

hi Phillip,

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Phillip Neumann wrote:

> Hi
>
> On mié, 09 dic 1998 16:14:12 Michael Tempsch wrote:
>
> > To set the root pointer I have the following in my .xsession
> >
> > # Nifty root cursor
> > xsetroot -cursor $HOME/.rootcursor $HOME/.rootcursor
> >

> All right.. that worked great... thanks...
ok, for changing the cursor of the root window.

> I have play with bitmap, and im only able to do black points for the
> cursor... I can see the default `X' cursor, and it has a white thing
> around the black X. How can i paint whites points?
don't know about that. I am using the predefined cursors. Have you
tried something like  'xsetroot -cursor_name spider'?

> Or even better, what about color ones?
I think, cursors are simple bitmaps - that means only black and white.

> Who does manage the cursors that are over applications? the wm? for
> example how can i customize the `text' ( ][ ) cursor?
the application itself handles the appearance of the cusor. Many
applications allow you to change it via the Xresources, e.g xterm uses
the resource 'pointerShape'. Try something like

 echo 'XTerm*pointerShape: spider' | xrdb -merge -
for testing (sorry, I like the spider :-). Don't know about using your
own creation.

   joachim

--

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to
open it and remove all doubt.