Re: Hiding directories

> I should know this, but I don't. How do I hide a directory
> so that others won't see it when using dir. I still want them
> to be able so get into and browse the rest of the parent directory.
> /Patrik.

You can rename a directory to start with a dot so that it's name
doesn't show up with dir or ls.  You can do a `chmod oa-rwx dir' so
that other ordinary users cannot enter it.  But you cannot hide it from
their view with ls -a if they can read the parent directory, and you
cannot at all hide anything from someone with root permission, except
through mounting a file system on it.  Still someone with root
permission could umount that file system and peek underneath it, and
while the covering file system is in place, you cannot access the data
in the directory yourself either.  If you really have data that needs
to be secure, your only option is encryption.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032