Re: Fetchmail lacks diplomacy skills

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Evan Parry wrote:

> .fetchmailrc that is causing it to bail prematurely.  I suggest
> deleting the "timeout 60" part from your .fetchmailrc file and try
> again.  If this still does not work, mail the list with more details.

Thanks for that.  It still doesn't work, but at least it does tell me more
about why.  Here's what I get now:

# fetchmail
Enter password for mark@adam.ist.flinders.edu.au:
fetchmail: 7 messages (6 seen) for mark at adam.ist.flinders.edu.au.
fetchmail: skipping message 1 not flushed
fetchmail: skipping message 2 not flushed
fetchmail: skipping message 3 not flushed
fetchmail: skipping message 4 not flushed
fetchmail: skipping message 5 not flushed
fetchmail: skipping message 6 not flushed
fetchmail: reading message 7 of 7 (1326 bytes)  (log message incomplete)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to destiny.phillips.org.au failed: Connection
timed out
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
adam.ist.flinders.edu.au

Now I can understand why fetchmail couldn't connect to
destiny.phillips.org.au --- namely because that is a dummy internet
address.  Of course it can't connect, because this is an address I made
up!  My /etc/hosts lists it as:
	192.1.1.1       destiny.phillips.org.au         destiny
and "destiny" is my hostname.  I read somewhere that the "192.*.*.*"
is one of the internet addresses which will never be officially used, and
hence can be used unofficially, like on my machine at home.  Now why is
the mail server trying to connect to destiny.phillips.org.au?  Presumably
because fetchmail told it to?  Where does fetchmail tell it to?  And where
should it send it to, given that I have a dynamically allocated IP
address?

Mark.