Re: exim rewriting rules

>> "SL" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:

SL> And say I am on your machine and want to make a report and have it
SL> comes back to my machine (rpglink.com).  Are you going to insert
SL> another rewrite rule?

Yes. If I don't, the default rewrite would apply.

SL> Now apply that to, say, an ISP that allows shell access that has, hold
SL> on...
[...]

There is a fundemental difference. If it is a box with a official IP
address, there is no need for a rewrite.

Otherwise as an ISP, you have scripts for changing passwords, setting
up mail forwarding, subscribing to a users mailinglist etc. Adding a
script, which will add the rewrite address is no big deal (just a
small perlscript).

Sure, it is nice if programms supply an option for a From: Header (I
couldn't use "bug" until I set up the rewrite), but it is not a bug
IMHO. The program may use the username as From. The MTA appends a
hostname (or fqdn) when needed. Changing the From header is the same
thing. The MTA assures proper transport (and way back in this case).

Or do you consider cron as buggy, as you can't specify a From header
it should use.

If you do, then we have different opinions about the way the
mailsystem should work. You are always free to submit patches that
enhance a program.

Ciao,
	Martin