New User with possible BIOS prob

I can boot debian from flopy but no matter what "boot order" I use under
the BIOS the Gigabite 586DX dual pent will not start linux

I see 1FA: as a prompt

these are the BIOS messages
Award modular BIOS v4.51
Intel 430HX PCI for dual pentium v3.43
award plug&play BIOS extension v1.0A detects my cdrom
adaptec ultra/ultra wide BIOS v 1.24s2

some one said they were running red hat on a system with hard ware like
mine:  I have 430HX chipset, IDE hard drive fujitsu ,matrox mellinium2
4meg,ide cdrom from goldstar,adaptec 2940U controller

this system had DOS, BEOS & NT running as well as can be expected that is.

any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated
I can program but I am new to linux
this is my second try at an install
ie i spent several days on slackware only to have various people shrug
though I was informd that sacrifice of small animals might be benificial.

my slackware install went well except for the "not able to read my slack
ware cdrom after I booted...yes I mounted it. I could not figure out the
file type? I tried two of the most obvious chices given by the book and
the sys admin. I even installed all the "stuff" befor the "smoke test" and
was able to fiddel a littel to see what was there after boot...I aparintly
needed to use a different vedio server fro Xfree and was trying to get it
from the cd when I realized that linux could not read the file system.this
has no relationship to the above problem but hey thanxs for reading this
far got any ideas?