Re: help please! still unknown interface and SIOCSIFADDR!!!!!

Rino Mardo writes:
> So I checked everywhere (HOWTOs, #Linux, FAQs) and couldn't find out why I can't use my  3C509B NIC even after recompiling the kernel.  So I thought I'd use the NE2000 nic since it is loaded with the kernel by default.  Guess what?  Though it says 8390 loaded during the boot process (but it doesn't appear in dmesg) I  still get:
>
> SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
> eth0: unknown interface
>
> I have setup my NE2000 to be IRQ=5 and IO=0x300.  Please help!!

Don't overlook an IRQ (or base address) conflict. My NIC was programmed on IRQ
3 when I changed motherboards. All of a sudden, it stopped working. After
chasing this problem a while, I realized that the NIC and serial port ttyS1
were conflicting. I turned off the serial port and re-programmed the NIC to a
different IRQ. And all is well in Linux land...

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK