Re: help please! still unknown interface and SIOCSIFADDR!!!!!

>eth0: unknown interface
>
>I have setup my NE2000 to be IRQ=5 and IO=0x300.  Please help!!
Rino,

    The eth0 message means the kernel did not find the ethernet card
during its last boot.  You could try the "module" and see if it will
initialize the card.  Ie: insmod ne2 300,5 should insert the module
in the running kernel.  If that doesn't work, I would suspect that
some kernel option has not been selected (when you rebuilt it).  If
you still have the original kernel around, boot it and see what gives.
All kernels since 2.0.0 will find an NE2000 clone; at least those of
the well-behaved category.

Note that there are many that do not have the proper signature byte,
but I've been using LinkSys cards for years, and they've always worked.
Besides that, the Linux driver even deals with many of those of the
poor clone class as well; usually.

Paul