dselect-help!!!!!!!

I have installed Linux on my laptop and i have now to use 'dselect' to install X and others packages. Problem : i can't find my way and i'm stuck with dselect from the beginning. I've downloaded the file 'Dselect documentation for beginners' from debian.org but it's not very helpful.  (e.g. : when I go to select i can't understand anything from the different menus and the differents options. For instance, what's the difference between 'Install from a hard disk partition partion (NOT YET MOUNTED)' and 'Install from a filesystem which is already mounted'. Which one should I pick up since i've just installed Debian from floppies?)
Basically, I'm looking for :
     - a manual which explains carefully and with examples what to do when using dselect.
     - if this is not available, is it possible to have a few directions about how to install X Windows with dselect, notably the very first steps  -something in plain english for idiots or retardos. (What i have now on my lap-top computer is plain Linux. I can't use a CD ROM and can't yet get access to the Internet since I don't know how to setup my PCMCIA card. For now my priority is to install X Windows, the Mouse and have some graphical interface to navigate through Linux).
Thanks for your help!