Re: Bells, whistles & Other noise makers

Paul McDermott <paul@experimental.braille.uwo.ca> writes:

> Hello everyone, I fixed my sound problem recently.  To bring everyone up
> to date, I had a pnp sound card that I could not get sound working.  I
> needed to load the soundlow module for it to work.  Now that said.  I have
> a question on making a sound with the <^G>.  I am trying to insert the
> bell character in the file debian.txt file found on the bootdists.  I am
> using emacs so at the bottom of the file i do C-q C-g and it is inserts a
> ^G where i want it. If i cat or do a more on the file i here the bell but
> when i use the disk i see a diamond just before the boot: prompt.  can
> anyone help me.  if sending you the file helps let me know.  thanking you
> in advance,

syslinux is in charge when you boot the disk, so no linux kernel is
running who could interpret this ascii code (not to mention a sound
driver). You have to check syslinux whether it is possible to do a
bell at the prompt (and how to do it).

--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28