Bells, whistles & Other noise makers

Hello everyone, I fixed my sound problem recently.  To bring everyone up
to date, I had a pnp sound card that I could not get sound working.  I
needed to load the soundlow module for it to work.  Now that said.  I have
a question on making a sound with the <^G>.  I am trying to insert the
bell character in the file debian.txt file found on the bootdists.  I am
using emacs so at the bottom of the file i do C-q C-g and it is inserts a
^G where i want it. If i cat or do a more on the file i here the bell but
when i use the disk i see a diamond just before the boot: prompt.  can
anyone help me.  if sending you the file helps let me know.  thanking you
in advance,
 paul