Re: Finished with Linux

thread:

In linux.debian.user, kaha@coinet.com wrote:

>If you had shared the "stupid messages" with us here, perhaps
>somebody could have told you what they mean and how to fix the
>problem. Strange.. I don't recall you posting once.

>You seem easy to convince. So go on back to your Happy Meal OS.
>If you can't bother asking for help with a problem, or bother reading
>the documentation, don't blame the OS for what you couldn't figure
>out on your own.

Be fair about this:  Edouard posted something controversial and angry:
so did I, when I tried to get printing working on this system.
Printing on single-user machines is a *nightmare* to set up, the docs
range from nearly useless to utterly useless, and while I did get
printing working even I don't really know what I did to fix the
problem.

And I'm no newbie:  this system had been running Linux for over a year
at that point, and I've managed LANs and such for years before that.

I'm not a good enough programmer, but someone needs to generate a
simple printing package for single-user systems that doesn't require
insanely complex installation and configuration to use a Deskjet 500.
Sort of a "leafnode to inn" relationship with the various lpds we have
now.

response:
There are a lot of things in linux that seem to bog people down.
Setting up X, ppp (connecting to your ISP), printing, or just
installing the damm thing (dselect UGHH).  Once you get it working you
sometimes forget what the problem was.

I did not do anything fancy to get printing to work.  I  am using
whatever default spooler was set up when I installed hamm, installed
magicfilter, ran the magicfilter config program, (specified the filter
for my HPLJIII) and it worked.  Knowing what LP number you actually
have was the major problem, had a 33% chance to guess right.  Since my
bios lets me change the lp port address I could pull a 'don't raise
the bridge lower the river' approach to fix this.  Otherwise just run
the config program again, or edit printcap.  Almost all the HP inkjet
printers will work work with the basic '500' series drivers.  I have
one of these also (dj560) but it mostly lives on my windows machine.
The windows machine can print on the laser jet via the lan (and
Samba).

My biggest problems with debian occur where my slackware oriented
doc's (most of the howto's on the net!) disagree with debian.  When in
doubt look for a README.Debian for the problem package in
/usr/doc/..package..!