no sound until I run doom

I need help with sound.  If I want to run a music CD (internal CD drive) or
a cassette (from a walkman plugged into the input jack on the back of the
sound card) I have first to run doom.  If I don't, I can't hear a thing.
This is on Deb 1.3.  I assume the same thing is happening on Deb 2.0.  I
don't have doom installed on Deb 2.0, so I can't test it, but I currently
can't get any sound out in 2.0.  Anyone know what I have to do to remedy
this ?

As a tack on sound question, when I try to run Xmixer or aumix from the
fvwm2 menus (Apps -> Sound), at best I see a window flash briefly to life on
the desk top, only to disappear, at worst I see nothing.  The same thing
happens on Deb2.0.  I have more sound utilities, like CD player consoles, on
2.0 that do the same thing.  XPlaycd works but the others don't (can't tell
you which ones, 'cause I am writing this from Deb1.3.  Don't have mail
configured on 2.0, yet.)  Any suggestions ?

thanks for any help,

Gerald Crimp