Re: Network Setup Problems

Hey Chris:

>I am having some problems getting my lan working.  I'm trying to
>connect my win95 machine to my linux machine.  Both have 3c509's
>connected to a hub.  I've given my linux box 192.168.1.1 and windows
>192.168.1.2.  However, I can not ping either machine from the other.
>Any ideas?

Just for reference, have you checked the lights on the Cards, to see if
they come on (* a light on the hub should also come on...)?  Check the
hub, and make sure the fan inside is working.  Also, change the ports on
the hub as individual ports tend to go bad from time to time...

You may also want to find someone with a cable tester to check the
cables to the hub.

What kind of Hub are you running (3com?)?  Depending on what kind of hub
you have, there may be a port marked as "Uplink" or something like
that...  Plug your Linux box into that port (seeing as it looks like
your Linux box will be the dial up for the internet)...

Is any of that any help??  Let me know...

Brant Wells

"RAM.... Rarely Adequate Memory..."